Security, lectures, Fall 2015
General information on this course can be found in the
Information about the exercises can be
found on a different page.
The first lecture will be on Tuesday Sept. 1, 8:45, in
LIN1. The exercise courses start one week later, on Sept. 11, at 15:45,
in LIN4 and LIN5.
Don't forget to register officially for this course, in
Osiris; blackboard will only be used for emails
announcements and marks.
Slides are being produced as the course proceeds:
- Lecture 1, 1/9: General introduction, until slide 29.
and Psychology, and watch the TED videos of
- Lecture 2, 8/9: intro continued, until slide 45.
- Lecture 3, 15/9: intro finished; start of symmetric
crypto, with substitution ciphers, until slide 18
- Lecture 4, 22/9: symmetric crypto techniques discussed,
and also use of symmetric crypto for confidentiality, until slide 41.
- Lecture 5, 29/9: symmetric crypto for authentication;
different attacks, until slide 56.
- Lecture 6, 6/10: e-passport, modes of encryption (finishing
symmetric crypto part)
- Lecture 7, 13/10: start of hashing, until slide 18.
- Lecture 8, 20/10: (combined lecture and exercise course)
password hashing, birthday problem, until slide 25.
- Lecture 9, 10/11 (in HG00.307): voting example with hashes
(road pricing is skipped); start of asymmetric crypto, including
modular arithmetic, until slide 14.
- Lecture 10, 17/11 (in LIN2): RSA, until slide 41.
- Lecture 11, 24/11 (in HG00.307): public protocols, until
- Lecture 12, 1/12 (in HG00.307): certificates, until slide 70.
- Lecture 13, 8/12 (in HG00.307): DigiNotar case, and
Simon Singh documentary "going public"
- Lecture 14, 15/12 (in HG00.307): Diffie-Helmann and El Gamal
(finishing hte public key crypto slides)
- Lecture 15, 5/1 (in HG00.307): Bitcoin
- Lecture 16, 12/1 (in SP1, in Spinoza building!):
Identification and authentication, esp. via biometry. (The remaining
identity management part of the slides is skipped)
The exam will be on Tuesday morning 21 jan. starting at 8:30 in
LIN 2 and LIN 5, and for people needing extra time in HG00.062. More
information will be distributed by email.